About Samuel Humes, MD
Born in Lancaster, PA, he served as city treasurer before enrolling at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1806. Receiving his medical degree in 1808, he returned to his native city where he soon established himself as an eminent physician and successful surgeon.
The first headquarters of the Pennsylvania Medical Society began at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Lancaster in 1848 before moving to State Street in Harrisburg in 1934. PAMED has had three other locations since then, moving to Lemoyne in 1966, back to Harrisburg in 1989 and now to its current location in Mechanicsburg since 2020.