Take the following steps to complete this CME activity:
- Read Managing Risk, Vol. 4, No. 1 PDF.
- Review the reflection rating sheet.
- Take the assessment by following the link at the end of the PDF.
At the conclusion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Use a variety of tools to help with management of pain patients,including evidence-based guidelines, pain assessment inventories, depression and suicide assessment tools, therapeutic agreements, and timely referrals and consultations.
- Document appropriately about pain management including making notes on assessments, treatment rationales, patient responses to treatments, and medications prescribed and dispensed.
- Take steps that will diminish the likelihood that patients will abuse or divert pain medications.
Accreditation and designation information
The Pennsylvania Medical Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Pennsylvania Medical Society designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the educational activity.
Faculty and all others who have the ability to control the content of continuing medical education activities sponsored by the Pennsylvania Medical Society are expected to disclose to the audience whether they do or do not have any real or apparent conflict(s) of interest or other relationships related to the content of their presentation(s).
Activity Development Team
- Karen K. Davis, MA, CPHRM is Risk Management Research Specialist, NORCAL Mutual Insurance Co.— writer and editor
- Jo Townson is CME Manager, NORCAL Mutual Insurance Co.— activity and content reviewer
- Dustin Shaver is Vice President, Risk Management, NORCAL Mutual and Medicus Insurance Co.— content reviewer
- Paula G. Snyder, RN, CPHRM is Regional Manager, Risk Management, NORCAL Mutual Insurance Co.— content reviewer
- Barbara Dugan is Associate Director, CME, PAMED—planning committee
- Leslie Howell is Director, Educational Services, PAMED—planning committee
The members of the Activity Development Team have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
This activity was designed to comply with state CME requirements for patient-safety CME.
Enduring material posted: May 1, 2013, revised March 8, 2016
Enduring material expires: Dec. 31, 2018