Last Updated: Dec 14, 2017
"As a former high school and college athlete as well as a parent of a lacrosse player, I’ve seen many young competitors sit out of games because of concussions.”
~ Karen Rizzo, MD,
Physicians, coaches, and parents—and many physicians and health care providers wear more than one of these hats—are more aware than ever of the dangers of concussions, especially for young children.
Thanks to a grant made possible by the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH), the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers’ Society (PATS) is partnering with the Pennsylvania Medical Society (PAMED), DOH, and Sport Safety International (SSI) to conduct DOH approved ConcussionWise™ trainings.
The ConcussionWise™ DR program for physicians, accredited for CME by PAMED, is an online education initiative to provide all Pennsylvania physicians with culturally competent, skills-based traumatic brain injury (TBI) education and ensure they are knowledgeable on current peer-reviewed research about the evaluation and management of concussions.
Normally $59, this online course offering two credits of CME, is available for free to the first 475 Pennsylvania physicians who sign up.
ConcussionWise™ Educational Objectives: What You Need to Know
The ConcussionWise™ program has three primary objectives:
- Increase TBI knowledge in the athletic community, particularly in programs serving young children
- Increase appropriate referrals for young athletes who have sustained a brain injury
- Increase the knowledge of the medical community, specifically primary care physicians, medical home providers, and emergency room physicians, about TBI and available TBI resources in Pennsylvania
All participants of the ConcussionWise™ training will receive a certificate of completion and be placed on the ConcussionWise™ registry, according to a news release by PATS. The registry will allow the public to find local physicians who have the most up-to-date training in concussion management.
“Managing a concussion takes an athlete-centered, physician-led team approach that includes parents, athletic trainers, physicians, and other health care professionals working together,” said PAMED President Karen Rizzo, MD. “The educational initiative through the Pennsylvania DOH grant and the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers’ Society will strengthen the care an athlete receives, hopefully returning them to competition when fully healed.”
The clinical content of the ConcussionWise™ DR course was peer-reviewed and approved by the Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians, Pennsylvania Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania College of Emergency Physicians, Pennsylvania Neurological Society, Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society, and the Pennsylvania Psychiatric Society.
DOH was recently awarded the four-year grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), with the overarching goal of addressing barriers to needed services encountered by children, youth, and adults with TBI.
Legislation that provides better monitoring of concussions in Pennsylvania’s interscholastic athletes was signed into law by former Gov. Tom Corbett on Nov. 9, 2011.
The Pennsylvania Medical Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Pennsylvania Medical Society designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Expiration date – 12/31/19
Activity Development Team
- Robb Rehberg, PhD (Author and Planning Committee)
- Joelle Rehberg, DO (Author and Planning Committee)
- Jeff Konin, PhD (Author and Planning Committee)
- John Moyer, LAT, ATC (Author and Planning Committee)
- Wayne Sebastianelli, MD (Author and Planning Committee)
- Kenneth Certa, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Michael Collins, PhD (Content Reviewer)
- Michael Cordas, DO (Content Reviewer)
- Ralph Franks, DO (Content Reviewer)
- Jennifer Marin, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Robert Safier, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Matthew Silvis, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Anne Vancott, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Josh Williamson, MD (Content Reviewer)
- Kevin Wong, MD (Content Reviewer)
The members of the Activity Development Team have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.