2017-2018 Academic Year Award
A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a qualified medical student
Applications Accepted July 1 - Sept. 30, 2017
Established in 1999, the Myrtle Siegfried, MD, and Michael Vigilante, MD Scholarship is awarded to a qualified first-year medical student residing in Berks, Lehigh, or Northampton County.
The scholarship was made possible through a memorial contribution from Elena Pascal, Foundation trustee, and her sister, Carla Vigilante, in honor of their parents, Drs. Siegfried and Vigilante, who practiced medicine in Allentown for more than 50 years.
"Through this endowment we have created a lasting remembrance of our parents and their achievements, and returned something to the profession that my parents so loved," Pascal said.
Scholarship application materials will be accepted beginning July 1 at the Foundation and must be received and postmarked on or before September 30. Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision by December 1.
- Applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Applicant must be a resident of Lehigh, Berks, or Northampton County in the state of Pennsylvania for at least 12 months prior to registering as a medical student.
- Applicant must be entering his/her first year of medical school AND be enrolled full time in a fully accredited United States medical school.
Applicant must submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two reference letters documenting the applicant's integrity, interpersonal skills, and potential as a future physician. These letters should be from persons who know the applicant well (other than family members).
- A letter, on school letterhead, from the applicant's medical school verifying that he/she is enrolled full time at that institution and is a first year medical student.
It is very important that we have the correct medical school information. Payment of scholarship must be made to the recipient's school and through the appropriate channels (financial aid, admissions, registrar, etc.)
- A typed one-page essay specifically describing why the applicant chose to become a physician and what contributions he/she expects to make to the health profession.
A personal interview is not required; however, it may be requested.
- Application materials will be accepted beginning July 1 of the current year, and must be postmarked on or before September 30 of the current year.Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision by December 1 of the current year.
For more information contact us at:
c/o The Foundation
777 East Park Drive
P.O. Box 8820
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8820
Phone: (717) 558-7852 or (717) 558-7854
Fax: (717) 558-7818
This medical scholarship is made possible by a memorial contribution from Mrs. Elena Pascal and Ms. Carla Vigilante in honor of their parents, Drs. Siegfried and Vigilante.