A $1,500 scholarship will be awarded to a qualified medical student
Application materials must be postmarked by April 15 of the current year.
Scott A. Gunder, MD, was a person with a vision to return something to the community that had given him so much. Early in his term as the 136th president of the Dauphin County Medical Society, he wanted to establish a scholarship for a deserving medical student. As a clinical assistant professor of medicine, and from his own experience, he knew the tremendous commitment it takes to earn a medical degree—and the high cost.
Dr. Gunder's wish has become a reality. In October 2000, the Dauphin County Medical Society established the Scott A. Gunder, MD, DCMS Presidential Scholarship Fund within The Foundation of the Pennsylvania Medical Society. Through this scholarship, the memory of the 39-year-old Harrisburg gastroenterologist will continue.
Dr. Gunder's gentle and compassionate spirit was world's apart from the aggressive cancer that took his life. The vast number of condolence cards and letters his widow, Doreen, received was a testament to his character. His family remembers him as a loving husband, caring son, and thoughtful brother. His compassionate nature brought much joy and comfort to his patients, family, and friends.
In honor of Dr. Gunder, the Dauphin County Medical Society is committed to the perpetuation of this fund. It will serve as recognition of all Dauphin County Medical Society presidents who dedicate their time to the betterment of the society—as Dr. Gunder did.
In fulfilling Dr. Gunder's wish, this special scholarship will be awarded annually to one deserving second-year medical student from Penn State College of Medicine at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, where Dr. Gunder taught. A part of Dr. Gunder's spirit of medicine will reside in each future physician who receives this award.
Eligibility for scholarship applicants include the following:
- Applicant must be a bona fide resident of Pennsylvania for at least 12 months before registering as a medical student (not including time spent attending an undergraduate/graduate school in Pennsylvania).
- Applicant must be a second-year medical student.
- Applicant must be enrolled full time at Penn State College of Medicine.
- Membership to the Pennsylvania Medical Society and county medical society –membership is free.
Applicant must submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two reference letters, from persons other than family members, documenting the applicant's integrity, interpersonal skills, and potential as a future physician.
- A letter, on school letterhead, from Penn State College of Medicine verifying that he/she is enrolled full time and is a second-year medical student.
- A typed, one-page essay (12-pt. type, double spaced) describing the person or event that most influenced you to become a physician and how you see yourself leading others into medicine.
- A completed Pennsylvania Medical Society membership application if student is not a current member.
A PERSONAL INTERVIEW IS NOT REQUIRED; HOWEVER, IT MAY BE REQUESTED.
For more information contact us at:
Scott A. Gunder, MD, DCMS Presidential Scholarship Fund
c/o The Foundation
777 East Park Drive
P.O. Box 8820
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8820
Phone:(717) 558-7852 or (717) 558-7854
Fax: (717) 558-7818
This medical scholarship was established by the Dauphin County Medical Society in memory of its past president, Scott A. Gunder, MD.