2017-2018 Academic Year Award
A $2,000 scholarship will be awarded to a qualified medical student.
Applications Accepted July 1 - Sept. 30, 2017
Drs. Jitendra M. and Saryu J. Desai established the Endowment for South Asian Students of Indian Descent (ESASID) scholarship in 2002.
Starting in 2003, each year, a scholarship is available for a South Asian Indian student enrolled full time in his/her second, third, or fourth year at an accredited Pennsylvania medical school. Applicants must be residents of Pennsylvania.
"It is our wish to help other medical students of Indian heritage realize their dreams of becoming a physician," Dr. Jitendra Desai said.
"My wife and I hope that by initiating this fund, others will want to contribute to it so students can discover the rewards of being a physician."
Eligibility for scholarship applicants includes the following:
- Applicant must be a Pennsylvania resident for at least 12 months before registering as a medical student (not including time spent attending a Pennsylvania undergraduate or graduate school).
- Applicant must be a South Asian Indian or a descendant of a South Asian Indian immigrant to the United States. The following lineage qualifies: self, parent(s), grandparent(s), or great-grandparent(s) of South Asian Indian heritage.
- Applicant must be enrolled full time in a fully accredited Pennsylvania medical school.
- Applicant must be enrolled or entering his/her 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of medical school.
- Applicant must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP AND BIRTH DESCENT MAY BE REQUIRED IF SELECTED.
Applicant must submit the following:
- A completed scholarship application form.
- Two reference letters, from persons other than family members, documenting the applicant's integrity, interpersonal skills, and potential as a future physician.
- A letter, on school letterhead, from the applicant's medical school verifying that he/she is enrolled full time as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year medical student at their institution.
- A typed one-page essay addressing the following:
- How do you hope to be involved in your community beyond clinical care of patients?
- In what ways would you hope to demonstrate leadership as a physician?
A PERSONAL INTERVIEW IS NOT REQUIRED; HOWEVER, IT MAY BE REQUESTED.
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1 and must be postmarked by September 30 of the current year.
For more information contact us at:
c/o The Foundation
777 East Park Drive
PO Box 8820
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8820
Phone: (717) 558-7852 or (717) 558-7854
Fax: (717) 558-7818