2017-2018 Academic Year Award
Applications Accepted July 1 - Sept. 30, 2017
A qualified medical student will be awarded a $4,000 scholarship.
The Foundation of the Pennsylvania Medical Society is pleased to administer the Allegheny County Medical Society Medical Student Scholarship for medical students who reside in Allegheny County.
This scholarship is made possible by contributions from the Allegheny County Medical Society Foundation which established the fund within the Foundation to assist local students with the cost of attending a Pennsylvania medical school.
Eligibility for scholarship applicants:
- Applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Applicant must be a resident of Allegheny County in the state of Pennsylvania for at least 12 months prior to registering as a medical student (not including time spent attending an undergraduate/graduate school in Pennsylvania).
- Applicant must be enrolled full time in a fully accredited Pennsylvania medical school.
- Applicant must be enrolled or entering his/her 3rd or 4th year of medical school.
- Applicant cannot be a past recipient of the Allegheny County Medical Society Medical Student Scholarship.
Applicant must submit:
- A completed scholarship application form.
- Two reference letters, from persons other than family members, documenting the applicant's integrity, interpersonal skills, and potential as a future physician. Note: One reference letter must be from either a medical school professor or a physician.
- A letter, on school letterhead, from the applicant's medical school verifying that he/she is enrolled full time as a third or fourth-year medical student at that institution.
- A typed one-page essay addressing the following: How do you hope to be involved in your community beyond clinical care of patients? In what ways would you hope to demonstrate leadership as a physician in your community?
Deadlines and Notifications
Application materials must be postmarked by September 30 of the current year. Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision in December of the current year.
Application materials should be mailed to:
Allegheny CMS Scholarship
c/o The Foundation
777 East Park Drive
P.O. Box 8820
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8820
Tel: (717) 558-7852 or (717) 558-7854
Fax: (717) 558-7818