Applications accepted Jan. 1 - Feb. 28, 2017
Multiple scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $2,500 each.
The Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance is the volunteer voice of the family of medicine, dedicated to healthy communities and the preservation of the doctor-patient relationship.
The mission of the Alliance is to:
- assist with programs of the Pennsylvania Medical Society that improve the health and quality of life for all people,
- promote health education,
- advocate for the interests of the medical profession regarding legislation and public relations,
- promote activities that provide financial support for medical education,
- encourage participation in activities that meet health needs, and
- support health-related charitable endeavors.
To financially assist Pennsylvania residents enrolled in a Pennsylvania medical school, the Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance established the Alliance Medical Education Scholarship (AMES) Fund. This fund, established in April 2000, is supported by Alliance fund-raising events and general and memorial contributions.
Applications must be postmarked by
Feb. 28 from current second- and third-year medical students who are Pennsylvania residents enrolled full-time in a Pennsylvania medical school. The first scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each were presented in 2003
The Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance (Physicians' spouses dedicated to healthy communities) is pleased to announce the availability of applications for its Alliance Medical Education Scholarship. (Read more about the Alliance and the history of this scholarship...)
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen.
- Applicant must be a resident of Pennsylvania for at least 12 months prior to registering as a medical student (not including time attending a Pennsylvania undergraduate/graduate school.)
- Applicant must be a second-year or third-year medical student when applying.
- Applicant must be enrolled full-time in an accredited Pennsylvania medical school.
- Applicant, once designated a scholarship recipient, must confirm attendance to a presentation event held in October in Hershey, Pa. Recipient is required to be present to accept the scholarshp. If not present, the next applicant by point standing may receive the award.
- Applicant must attain membership to the Pennsylvania Medical Society and county medical society - membership is free.
Applicant must submit the following
- A completed application form.
- Two reference letters (personal and academic from persons other than family members documenting the applicant's integrity, interpersonal skills, and potential as a future physician.
- A letter on school letterhead, from the applicant's medical school verifying that he/she is enrolled full time as a second-year or third-year medical student.
- A typed essay, one page, must be submitted describing the applicant's vision for the future of Pennsylvania medicine.
- A completed Pennsylvania Medical Society membership application (if not a current member.)
Finalists may be called for personal interviews by the AMES Fund Committee.
Deadlines and Notifications
Application materials will be accepted beginning Jan. 1 of the current year, and must be postmarked by Feb. 28 of the current year.
Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision by June 1 of the current year.
The scholarship will apply to the second semester of the upcoming academic year. The scholarship check will be made payable to the medical school.
The scholarship recipient is required to be present for a scholarship presentation at the Alliance's annual fundraising benefit on Oct. 14, 2017, in Hershey, Pa.
For more information contact us at:
c/o The Foundation
777 East Park Drive
PO Box 8820
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8820
This medical scholarship is made possible by the Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance through fund-raising events and by general and memorial contributions. [The Fund is administered by the Foundation of the Pennsylvania Medical Society, a 501 (c) (3) charitable and educational organization. The official registration and financial information of the Foundation may be obtained from the PA Department of State by calling toll-free within Pennsylvania, (800) 732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.]