Last Updated: Apr 10, 2019
In April 2019, Novitas Solutions – Pennsylvania’s Medicare Administrative Contractor – announced changes to its website to support more web browsers and devices such as tablets and larger monitors.
The Novitas website updates include:
- Left-navigation menus have changed to a drop-below style, and each topic area in the navigation will include a “Home” option where you can find a full listing of content under each topic.
- Switching between Medicare Part A and Part B content has been simplified. The option under the Novitas logo in the upper left corner is now a single-click toggle.
- A new search tool includes an auto-suggest feature with popular terms and phrases and will return links to Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs).
Tips for Using Other Popular Novitasphere Features
In a Feb. 19, 2019 email to its Novitasphere Medicare portal users, Novitas also provided these tips for using other Novitasphere features:
- Eligibility – This feature interfaces with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) HIPAA Eligibility Transaction System to obtain patient information. The subscriber first name, last name, and Medicare number must match the beneficiary's data maintained by Medicare and listed on the beneficiary’s Medicare card. Some information – such as skilled nursing facilities and crossover insurance information – is not available through the eligibility feature. Get Novitas’ Eligibility Guide here.
- “Billed in Error” – This feature that allows users to correct paid claims that have been billed in error. It can be used to report paid claims, or individual paid lines of a claim as billed in error. Once your Billed in Error request has been processed, you can use Novitasphere’s Immediate Recoupment feature to have your overpayments repaid.
Novitasphere Part B customers can use the Claim Correction/Billed in Error feature to add, change or delete most modifiers, change the claim diagnosis codes, and change the procedure code. You can find Novitas’ Claim Correction Guide here.
- Claims Submission/ERA – Since this feature will open a new browser window, you may need to disable your browser’s pop-up blocker to use it. You have two options for submitting claims:
Novitas recommends checking “File Status and Reports” once your claim has been submitted. You can search “New Files” to find reports that you have not opened or viewed yet and then verify that every file gets an accepted report called the 277CA.
- If you have software that creates an 837 electronic claim file, you can upload your file through Novitasphere.
- You can use the Professional Claims Direct Data Entry (DDE) to enter single claims. Novitas offers more details on DDE here.
Physicians and practice staff can register for these Novitas webinars and other educational events on topics like claims corrections. If you are new to Novitasphere, you can access Novitas’ New User Checklist here.
If you have questions on Novitasphere, you can contact a Novitas EDI analyst at (855) 880-8424.
Pennsylvania Medical Society members with questions can also contact our Knowledge Center at 855-PAMED4U (855-726-3348) or KnowledgeCenter@pamedsoc.org.