Pennsylvania's medical marijuana law mandates the creation of a practitioner registry for physicians who wish to participate in the Medical Marijuana Program and certify patients for medical marijuana eligibility. A practitioner registry is now available online for physicians to submit their names to be considered for the Program.
As a reminder, physician participation in the Medical Marijuana Program is voluntary.
Here are 5 quick details on the registry and what physicians need to do to qualify to issue certifications to patients to use medical marijuana:
1. Practitioner Registry—Physicians who wish to participate must apply via this online Practitioner Registry application. Although a physician will be required to provide details such as date of birth and email address when registering, only the physician's name, business address, and medical credentials will be made publicly available in the practitioner registry.
Physicians now the option to indicate during the application process whether they want to be listed in the public registry.
2. Training Requirements—To become recommending practitioners, physicians must complete a four-hour training course approved by DOH. Physicians can submit their registry application first and then work to complete the training requirement.
3. Medical Marijuana Training Providers—DOH offers a list of educational providers it has approved to provide medical marijuana training here. Once a physician has completed an approved course, the
Office of Medical Marijuana will receive notification of course completion
directly from the training provider selected by the physician during their
4. More on the Practitioner Registration Process—Once a physician has registered and completes the required four-hour training course, the Office of Medical Marijuana anticipates notifying the registered physician of their status within 5-10 days. The physician will be notified using the contact information provided by the physician via the registry, most likely via the email address supplied by the physician. Physician who need assistance with the registration process can contact the Medical Marijuana Program's Helpdesk at 888-733-5595.
5. Practitioner Registry Data—A publicly-available list of approved practitioners who have successfully completed practitioner registration and the required training is available online here.